His Majesty King Gyanendra has held the title of the King twice: first between 1950 and 1951 as a child when King Tribhuvan was forced into exile in India with the rest of the royal family; and from 2001 to 2008, following the unfortunate Nepalese royal massacre.
Date of Birth:
July 7, 1947 (Asar 23, 2004); Kathmandu
His late Majesty King Mahendra Bir Bikram Shah and Her late Royal Highness Crown Princess Indra Rajya Laxmi Devi Shah.
Senior Cambridge from St. Joseph’s College, Darjeeling, India (1966); Graduated from Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu (1969)
Married Her Majesty Queen Komal Rajya Laxmi Devi Shah (1970), Son :1,Daughter:1.
Chairman: Advisory Committee for the Coronation of His late Majesty King Birendra Bir Bikram Shah (1975), King Mahendra Trust for Nature Conservation (1982-2001), Lumbini Development Trust (1986-1991).
1001-Nature Trust (1986).
Ascended the Throne of the Kingdom of Nepal (2001)
Supreme Commander of the Royal Nepalese Army
Royal Nepal Academy of Science and Technology, King Mahendra Trust for Nature Conservation, Lumbini Development Trust, Pashupati Area Development Trust.
Tribhuvan University and Mahendra Sanskrit University.
- Sovereign of all Orders of the Kingdom of Nepal;
- Ati Suvikkyat Sewalankar, 1968;
- Subha Rajyabhishek Padaka, 1956;
- Bishesh Sewa Padaka, 1971;
- Subha Rajyabhishek Padaka, 1975;
- Tesro SAARC Shikhara Sammelan Smriti Padaka, 1988;
- Gaddi Aarohan ko Rajat Mahotsav Padaka, 2028-2053 B.S., 1997;
- Vishista Seva Padaka, 1999;
- The Grand Cross Order of the House of the Orange (The Netherlands), 1967;
- Nishan-e-Imtiaz (Pakistan), 1970;
- Grand Cordon of Yugoslav Flag, First Class (Yugoslavia), 1974;
- Order of Labour (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea),
- Knight Grand Cordon of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant (Thailand), 1979;
- Grand Cross of the National Order of Merit (France), 1983;
- Knight Grand Cross of the Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael and St. George (G.C.M.G.) (United Kingdom), 1986;
- The Order of the Golden Arc (The Netherlands), 1986;
- Grand Gwanghwa Order of Diplomatic Service-Merit (Republic of Korea), 1987;
- Grand Cross Isabel La Catolica (Spain), 1987;
- The Grand Cross (Germany), 1996; Hon. Doctorate,
- State Technical University (Russia Federation), 2005.
State Visits: India, 2002; China, 2002.
Official Visits: India, 1976; Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, 1978; Republic of Korea, 1987; United Arab Emirates, 2005.
Other visits: India, Pakistan, China, Japan, Bhutan, Thailand, Myanmar, Singapore, United States of America, Soviet Union, United Kingdom, The Netherlands, Denmark, Federal Republic of Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Yugoslavia, Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, Czechoslovakia, Australia, New Zealand, Belgium, Spain, United Arab Emirates, Austria, Canada, Iran, Egypt, South Africa, Burundi, Tanzania.
Represented His late Majesty King Birendra Bir Bikram Shah:
- At the Ceremony marking the Accession of His Majesty
- Jigme Singye Wangchuck to the throne of Bhutan,1972.
- At the Wedding of The Prince of Wales of the United Kingdom, 1981.
- At the funeral of H.E. Mr Josip Broz Tito, President of Yugoslavia, 1980.
- Inauguration of the Japan Chapter of the King Mahendra Trust for Nature Conservation in Tokyo, Japan, 1986.
- Attended the 25th Anniversary Celebrations of the World Wildlife Fund in Assisi, Italy, 1986.
- Attended the World Wildlife Conference in San Francisco, United States of America, 1976.
- Participated in the Asian-African Summit in Jakarta, Republic of Indonesia, 2005.
- Participated in the Annual Conference of the Boao Forum for Asia in Boao, People’s Republic of China, 2005.
- Participated in the Second South Summit in Doha, State of Qatar, 2005.